During the first half of the 20th Century and before, most of back yards of Bonneauville homes looked something like the photograph below at left. Typically there was housing for a horse and buggy, a milk cow, perhaps a beef cow for meat, a couple of pigs, and chickens. In addition there was a privy and sometimes a tool shed and a corn crib. This shot is now the parking lot at Weaver's Store, 1 Hanover Street in Bonneauville. The home belonged to Raymond and Myrtle Orndorff at the time of this photo was taken around 1950.
In the background of the photo at right stands a large Pennsylvania bank barn. It stood about three football field lengths from the front of St. Joseph's Church, on the Bon-Ox Road. The building, which belonged to Ambrose and Bertha Myers, was destroyed by an arson's flame in the early 1950's. This shot was taken from the alleyway behind the first block of East Hanover Street.