|Title:||Badge; "Captain, School Safety Patrol."|
In the 1950's and 60's and before, a large percentage of the students of St. Joseph's Parochial School in Bonneauville lived within walking distance of the building. All students were given lessons in safety, especially since three children had been struck and killed by automobiles in the Bonneauville area around that time. In addition several other young individuals were seriously injured in separate pedestrian accidents. Each single file column of students (Hanover Road East, Hanover Road West, Maple St. etc.) were led by a 7th or 8th grade student who was a member of The Safety Patrol. The 13 or 14 year old patrol members were in charge. They kept the students in single file and off of the roadway. They were obligated to pass their own homes and escort the last student to his residence before returning home. Safety Patrol members wore a coveted white canvas belt about two inches wide, which both wrapped over one shoulder and wrapped around the waist. The Safety Patrol badge was pinned to the diagonal portion of the belt.
When Rev. Paul Rindos converted St. Josephs School in Bonneauville, PA to a social hall (now Deacon Rich Weaver Parish Center), in the 1990's, he offered excess school desks, books etc. to parish members. "Take anything you want that is left from the days when we taught school here," was his offer. This badge is a result of that purging.
|Acquired from:||Rev. Paul Rindos|